Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mid-Winter With Gardens on My Mind

This past week, I officially passed on the gavel, ending my term as President of the Memphis Horticultural Society.  For those who enjoy reading about gardening, the organization's newsletters are available on-line at http://www.memphishorticulture.org/.  Readers of this blog might particularly enjoy the description of my favorite private garden in the U.S. that I described in the President's Letter of the September, 2010, newsletter "Clippings" which can be viewed by visiting the site.
As some may guess from the photos, the garden that I have written about belongs to interior designer and author Bunny Williams and her antiques dealer husband John Rosselli.  The first photo shows antique tole flowers in pots on a window ledge at the Manor House, Bunny and John's weekend house in Litchfield County, Connecticut.  And the second photo shows a portion of the sunken garden, an outdoor room with a wonderful stone retaining wall on one side and lattice walls on the other three;  trimmed boxwoods around the lily pool form a room-within-a-room.  (The photo is reversed, for those who have visited).
 
My very minor contributions from years ago, a drawing for a fence, a bench, an arbor, etc., are all still part of the scheme for the remarkable series of gardens to form a collection that Bunny has created and beautifully maintained.  All these photos and more, along with the whole story of the property, are delightfully presented in An Affair With A House, written by Bunny and published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang, New York.  The book is one of the best of its kind and highly recommended for all house and garden lovers.  And yes, it is pleasing to the most devoted classicist.

8 comments:

  1. John what are the plants in the first image? Love them!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karena, these are painted metal leaves and flowers on a wire branch in a plaster filled metal pot. But the patina gives it a pleasant effect, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bunny Williams' house and gardens. She is a wonderful talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, indeed, it is a delightful garden, one that Reggie only knows from reading her book. He hopes to see it in person one day, but the few times that he has been able to--open garden days--he has been otherwise engaged. He has met the lady several times, and thinks she's a rather good egg, and from him that is a sincere compliment. RD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely garden. Would that I could manage similar on my own country place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my very favorite books. It simply glows with love. I think in my next life I'd like to come back as one of Bunny Williams' dogs. Since she has evolved to perfection, she'd keep coming back as herself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite "shelter" book ever! There are many others I love and own but none with the gentle soul of this. The landscaping at our house is my able husband's domain - I know what I like but am severely lacking in horticultural education. I can tell you that I would be very happy to spend the snowless (and maybe the snow ridden as well) months languorously lounging here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John,

    How wonderful that your original contribution remains in place. Horticulture, decorative arts -- you certainly are devoted to the cultural life of Memphis.

    ReplyDelete

Your interest in this blog is appreciated. Other commitments might prevent an immediate response to your comments or questions. That does not lessen the value of the blog reader's input, however. Only comments relating to the current post are eligible for publication; non-relevant comments and promotional references will be deleted. Contact me at johnjtackett@gmail.com regarding other questions. Anonymous comments cannot be accepted.